RUGBY CEMETERY
AKA: Rugby Congrgational, Rugby Methodist, Rugby United
OGS Number: 3591

Address: 1933 Old Barrie Road East , Oro-Medonte
Directions: 70 m west of Line 12 North, south side
Geographic Twp: Oro Con 12 Lot 11

Condition: Closed
Size: 41 Stones

Office: Township of Oro-Medonte
148 Line 7 South,
Oro, Ontario L0L 2X0
(705) 487-2171

Publications: Rugby Congregational Church Cemetery;
Barrie, Ontario: Simcoe County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 2006.
Publications

“ Rugby Cemetery”
Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County;
Extracted, edited and indexed by Eldon D. Weber
Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Genealogical Society, 1977.

History:
In 1847, some local pioneers who had been holding services in the old log school were ministered to by Rev. Ari Raymond from the Congregational Church at Edgar. Through his efforts, a second Congregational Church was built at Rugby. Mr. Raymond did most of the building, including the pulpit. He also taught school at Rugby at this time. In 1923, the church joined the Methodist Field at Hawkestone and then became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925. The church was removed in 1949. The earliest death transcribed was in 1831, most recent in 1928, however, according to Monumental Transcriptions, the last burial was in 1936. At least 5 bodies have been relocated to Orillia.
Based on information from:
The Story of Oro, Second Edition, The Township of Oro, 1987.
Monumental Transcriptions Vol 1, Central North Simcoe County, Ontario genealogical Society, 1977

Photo - Rugby Cemetery

Photo by John F. Wright, 2005


Back to Cemeteries List – Municipal (Oro-Medonte) / Geographic (Oro)

Simcoe County Branch ~ Ontario Genealogical Society
Box 892 ~ Barrie, Ontario ~ L4M 4Y6